In January, I suggested on Brassgoggles that perhaps a visit to the Kew Bridge Steam Museum might be a good idea. It was to coincide with the 175th birthday of James Watt.
Unfortunately, the day was a Wednesday and with people working, and limited time to publicise the event, I had only one person who could attend.
The event was rescheduled for Feb. 27th. The museum was running a "Giants Of Steam" weekend, where once a month they run the big Cornish engines.
The event was put out once again on BrassGoggles and promoted on the steampunk Facebooke page, and with more time. There was a great response, with about 13 people saying "yes" on the forum, and another 10 or so on FB. Knowing how Facebook works, one can expect at best, one in ten acceptances to an event actually turning up to it.
On Sunday, about 25 people arrived.
The museum did something unexpected and ran the rotative engines in the steam hall as well, which they don't usually do on these weekends. By all accounts, everyone in attendance had a thorougly pleasant time and we went onto a local pub afterwards for drinks and a chance to get to know eachother better.
I met some of the most pleasant people. It was a fantastic day spent in brilliant company in amazing surroundings.
I shall be requesting permission and posting some photos taken.
I have tried arranging various meets and gatherings before, wth very poor results. This is by far the most successful thing I've ever done. The last thing I tried to set up resulted in my sitting in a pub for three hours, alone, so I'm very pleased indeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment